Tip Sheet for Printing and Scanning
Click below to download and print the two-page tip sheet for printing and scanning.
Printing and Scanning Process
Below are the steps for teachers and school administrators to follow to print and scan student response sheets for the open-response language questions.
Note: Open responses written on the printable format in large print must be transcribed into the e-assessment system and cannot be scanned.
Assigning Paper- or Online-Response Formats
The default response format for all Grade 3 students will be paper, and the default response format for all Grade 6 students will be online.
You can switch the option depending on each student’s needs. To change a student’s response format, go to the Manage Students page, click the student’s name, change the answer-format option in the drop-down menu, and then click OK.
Once the assessment has been scheduled, you can also change the response format from the Invigilation page. To do this, click the student’s name from the invigilation table, and switch the answer-response format option in the drop-down menu.
The response format should be decided BEFORE the student begins the assessment. Use the sample test to help determine the format best suited for the student.
However, if a student needs to change formats during a session, you can change the response format as described:
- If the student needs to switch from paper to online: Help the student refresh the assessment, and navigate back to the question the student was on. The student will now be able to type the response to that question into the online assessment. If the student wrote part of the answer on the paper response sheet, let the student type the answer from the paper sheet into the online assessment. Once the student has submitted the session, shred the response sheet.
- If the student needs to switch from online to paper: After switching the student’s response format, you will have access to print the response sheets. It is best to use the Print button—not the bulk print button—within the student modal. Print the response sheet, and hand it to the student. If applicable, let the student copy the online response onto the paper response sheet. Once the student has this, help the student refresh the assessment and navigate back so that the student can click the Click here when you have finished this question button; then submit the session.
Printing Response Sheets
Printing All Response Sheets for a Class
Use the Print Response Sheets button located above the invigilation table.
Note: The word “Printing…” will appear as the response sheets are generating. The time it takes for the sheets to be generated is dependent on the class size. Please allow 30 seconds to one minute for classes with more than 25 students. It is important to ensure pop-ups are enabled for your browser. You can also change your browser settings to have the response sheets open in a new tab or a new window.
Response sheets will only be generated for students who have “paper response” selected. Response sheets will include the student’s name and the QR code that will allow the e-assessment system to identify and sort student responses.
There will be a pencil icon next to the student’s name if “paper response” has been selected.
Save the generated response sheets as a PDF, and print them on 8 x 11 white paper. The response sheets are ordered by session. This will allow you to group the response sheets together to ensure you are only handing out the sheets for the session that the students are currently writing.
Printing for Individual Students
Click the student’s name in the invigilation table.
Select the desired session (A, B or C), and then click Print to generate a PDF of the response sheet for that individual student.
Distribute the printed response sheets for the session students are completing.
Scanning Response Sheets
Note: Do not upload responses to the sample test. Sample test response sheets will not have a QR code.
- Collect all of the student response sheets for the class you are invigilating.
- Use your scanning method of choice, and save the file as a PDF.
- Review the scans, and ensure that the entire page has been captured, that the text is legible and that there are no obstructions over the QR code.
Uploading Response Sheets
Once the student has submitted the assessment, the icon in the invigilation table will change.
- If the student wrote the assessment online, you will see a green check mark indicating that the session has been submitted.
- If the student wrote the assessment on paper, you will see a QR code to indicate that a scanned paper response is required.
Uploading All Response Sheets for a Class
- Click the Upload Response Sheets button located above the invigilation table.
- Choose a file to upload.
- Click Open.
- Review the icons on the invigilation table to ensure that the scans have all been uploaded.
Note: You can upload the response sheets after each session has been completed or once all sessions have been completed.
Uploading Response Sheets for Individual Students
- Click a student’s name from the invigilation table.
- Select the desired session (A, B or C), click Upload and select the file to upload.
- The student’s scanned response will then appear. Click Confirm to confirm the student response sheet has been upload. Click OK to close the upload screen.
Fixing Incorrect Student Uploads
If a response sheet has been uploaded for the wrong student, follow the three steps under the heading Uploading Response Sheets for Individual Students.
This upload will override the previous upload.
Reviewing Response Sheets
To review the student responses, you can click the Review Student Responses button located above the invigilation table to start with the first student on the list.
Or you can click a student’s name in the invigilation table to begin reviewing the student’s responses.
You will be able to navigate between students by using the arrows keys.
Use the Session A, Session B and Session C buttons to switch between the student responses for each session.
You can review the student responses in one of the following ways: (1) review the responses for all sessions for one student before moving to the next student, or (2) review the same student response for all students by clicking the session button you want to review and then using the arrow keys to switch between students.
Only one response sheet can be uploaded per question. Once the response has been reviewed, use the green Confirm button to indicate that the response has been confirmed. The button will turn grey and say “Confirmed.”
The icon in the invigilation table will change to a green check mark.
You cannot unconfirm a scan. If you need to replace a response sheet for an individual student, in the student modal, select the student’s name, and then select the desired session. Click the Upload button and select the correct student response sheet.
Note: As student responses need to go for scoring, we ask that you complete the scanning process within two school days of completing your assessment session and no later than June 24, 2022